“Radio Show Logo WIP” flickr photo by bounder shared under a Creative Commons (BY-NC) license
What does your day sound like? If you listen closely, you might start to notice music all around you. Yes, sometimes it is the BeeGees track on your iPod. Sometimes, it is Green Day. Or Mozart or Coltrane or the Dixie Chicks. Other times, the music is the natural sounds of the wind rushing through the trees as you walk your neighborhood. We have soundtracks to all of our days, if we pay attention.
For this month’s Data Postcards, inspired by Dear Data, we invite you to pay attention to the music of your life, and maybe create some interesting data points. There are all sorts of ways you can go about doing this and the form and shape of your data (what it looks like) is completely up to you.
- Keep track of all of the songs you listen to in a given period of time;
- Document the genres you listen to;
- Analyze your record collection (wait .. what’s that?);
- Document your unique soundtrack (what tunes define you at particular points of your life?);
- Keep notes on the natural musical sounds you hear;
- Maybe you make music — track that;
- and anything you think connects to music, in any form you see fit.
To join us, go here to sign up (and add more topics if you wish!). (Make sure you’ve signed up for our other CLMOOC postcard list first so you have addresses.) The way this all works is somewhat at your discretion — you can mail just one Data Postcard to one person on the list, or make a few for a few people. We don’t expect you to send a postcard to everyone on the list — you can, but that might be a lot of work.
We will be engaging in this from now until the end of March, but with hopes of getting something in the mail by March 15th (more or less — again, no hard and fast boundaries). Feel free to post what you make or what you receive in all the usual spaces. We look forward to hearing from you!